If we left it up to them, our furry friends would eat us out of house and home, literally. Although they would never admit it themselves, they are not all that great at telling what’s good for them. Remember that hairbrush you found shredded under your doggo’s bed? Yup, that’s exactly what we are talking about here.
Alas, there is a difference between the things your dog shouldn’t eat, and those which can seriously harm him. Some seem pretty innocent, and we wouldn’t think twice about leaving them in our pups’ plain sight. While we don’t want you to become obsessive about hiding everything from your dog, there are certain food items they should never get their grabby paws on.
This may come as a surprise, but chicken bones are extremely brittle and can splinter easily, causing an internal injury. In fact, many other bones may do that if served cooked to your pupper. Best way to avid this risk is to give them only large, uncooked bones, or ones that have been specially prepared.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a big no-no for your dog, and for you as well. Even small amounts of lunch meat pack a whole array of additives, chemicals, antibiotics, nitrates, sodium, and spices which are simply harmful for everyone.
Yes, we know this one is a bit controversial as salmon oil is usually highly recommended as a great source of omega fatty acids and used by well-meaning dog parents all over the globe. However, this oil is particularly vulnerable to absorbing all the pollutants in the water, such as PCPs, malondialdehydes, free radicals and dioxin. These toxic chemicals may lead to premature aging, and serious diseases, including cancer.
Garlic and onions
They are perfectly fine for us but are toxic to our four-legged friends. Ingesting them may lead to gastrointestinal irritation and/or red cell damage. What’s worse, it sometimes takes a few days for the symptoms to manifest, so it is difficult to tell what happened.
This one doesn’t make sense because we all know that chocolate makes everything better, right? Not so much for dogs. Chocolate can lead to kidney failure in canines, so make sure your two-legged kiddos don’t share their treats with their best furry friends.
While cashews and peanuts are generally safe, black walnuts and macadamia nuts may lead to seizures, vomiting, and muscle weakness. Since even the more neutral nuts are high in fat and may be a choking hazard, our advice is to go for a much safer type of snacks altogether.
Grapes and raisins
Yet more items that are great for humans but toxic for dogs. Both grapes and raisins can cause liver damage and kidney failure so make sure to store them in places Fido has no access to.
Well, what a shock. This is something that’s not good for you or your pet, but the consequences of alcohol ingestion are much more severe for your pup and may lead to sickness, diarrhea, and central nervous system failure.
What happens when your dog gets a hold of one of the above? It depends on may factors, but it’s better to be safe then sorry, so don’t risk it and call your vet ASAP.